Your Go-To Guide to Synthetic Wig Care
If you're experiencing hair loss or thinning for any reason, or you just don't like styling your hair. You might find comfort and confidence in wearing synthetic wigs. A high-quality synthetic wig can provide a much-needed confidence boost or sense of normalcy during challenging times. Understanding how to care for your synthetic wig is vital to maintaining its beauty and prolonging its lifespan. This guide was created to help you keep your wig looking great with daily care and maintenance.
Understanding Hair Loss and Wig Selection
Before diving into care routines, it's essential to acknowledge the hair loss journey. Whether it's from alopecia, chemotherapy, or another medical condition, losing hair can be a deeply personal and sensitive experience. Selecting a synthetic wig is more than a fashion choice; it's about finding comfort and confidence and regaining control over your appearance. Synthetic wigs offer a realistic look and feel and are easy to maintain, especially when you want simplicity and effectiveness in your routine.
Daily Care Routine
Start each day by gently detangling your wig before wear. Use a wide-tooth comb or a special wig brush designed for synthetic fibers. Begin at the ends and work your way up to the roots to prevent shedding and maintain the integrity of the fibers.
At the end of the day, spritz Jon Renau HD Smooth Detangler on the ends and mid-section of the wig and run your wide-tooth comb through her before you store her.
Unlike natural hair, synthetic wigs don't require frequent washing. Every 10-15 wears is typically sufficient if you are wearing her every day. If you only wear her on occasion. You may be able to get away with washing her every few months.
When it's time to wash:
- Use cool water and a small amount of wig shampoo to create your solution in a bowl or sink. Jon Renau's Fiber Love Shampoo or Hairuwear's Cleanse Refreshing Shampoo are excellent for a gentle and effective wash.
- Then, immerse the wig in the solution, gently swishing it around without rubbing. Do this for several minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly in cool water and apply a conditioner designed for synthetic wigs to smooth and protect the fibers. We recommend Jon Renau's Fiber Love Conditioning Spray or Hairuwear's Restore Leave-In Conditioner.
- Rinse the wig for a second time.
After the final rinse, avoid wringing out your wig. Instead, blot the excess water with a towel and place the wig on a wig stand to air dry.
- Only comb or style your wig once it is completely dry. This should take about 24 hours.
- Keep the piece away from direct heat or sunlight, which can damage the fibers.
Stick to styling products and tools made specifically for synthetic wigs. Avoid high-heat tools unless your wig is labeled heat-friendly, and even then, use the lower temperature settings.
- Each wig manufacturer recommends specific settings, but it's safe to stay between 285 and 300 degrees for most heat-friendly fibers.
Other Helpful Care Products:
Use wig-specific freshening sprays or other care products between washes to keep your wig smelling and looking clean. These are some of our favorites.
- Estetica Design Revitalize & Shine Wig Mist
- Simply Stylin' Light Silk Spray
- Salon Sea Salt Mist by Belle Tress
Navigating hair loss or any hair issues can be frustrating. Opting for a synthetic wig is an excellent way to ease the stress and anxiety of hair loss or lack of confidence in your appearance. And learning how to get the most out of your investment can be empowering and confidence-boosting!
That's why we wanted to share our best tips for keeping your synthetic and heat-friendly synthetic pieces in great shape for as long as possible.